Here’s my summary, mostly based off of a new app I just started using: Blinkist. I’m not going to fully endorse it yet, but in the 2 hours I’ve spent on it I really love it. It’s basically a database of very good Sparknotes for self improvement and business type books, articles, etc.
Anyways, the 7 Habits are things we should all try to live by and run our lives and businesses with them in mind!
The 7 Habits of highly effective people:
1. Sharpen the saw. Don’t work with a dull blade. Learn the skills to make you effective, efficient and the right person for the role. If you don’t, someone who is will probably come into competition and make things difficult on you.
2. Be proactive, NOT reactive. Mediatation has helped me a lot with this. Write your personal mission statement, so you’re clear on what you want to focus on and accomplish in life.
3. Begin with an end in mind- don’t work aimlessly, I’d rather not work at all.
4. Put 1st things 1st-rigorously prioritize. What brings us to our final goals? What aligns with our larger mission statement?
5. Think WIN/WIN- get your fair share (piece of cake), but build lasting relationships at the same time.
6. Seek 1st to understand, THEN to be understood. If you’re a great, genuine, appreciative listener, people will be much for open, understanding and willing to work with you.
7. Synergize- the contributions of many outway what you can accomplish alone. See interactions with others as an adventure. I don’t remember the exact quote, but in a Tim Ferriss podcast, a wise guest said something like…. Expect magic in every interaction! If you can do this, you will have more great than bad interactions, and you will be become a person that attracts people and brings the best out of the those people around you!